One of the greatest risk factors for tooth loss is gum disease. Risk factors which can lead to gum disease include: poor brushing and flossing habits, diabetes, smoking and other forms of tobacco use, heart disease or blood conditions, not visiting a dentist regularly, hormonal changes while pregnant, family history of cavities or gum disease, some prescription and OTC medication create a dry mouth.
Tips to help prevent gum disease:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day for 2 minutes each time
- Floss daily to remove bacteria and food between the teeth and under the gums.
- Visit your dentist regularly for preventive exams and professional dental cleaning.
- Invest in a power toothbrush.
- Limit high-sugar snacks, soda sipping, sports drinks and sugar filled juice.
- Share changes in your health and medication changes with your dentist.
Dr. Schiavoni, Dr. Weitz and Dr. Sept can help you maintain your oral health. Keep getting your regular checkups and be sure to let the dentist know if you’ve changed medications or had any changes in your health. Regular dental care means a healthier mouth and a healthier body!
Do you want to improve your oral health today? Call Bearable Dentistry or request an appointment through the link on this webpage.